Top Ad

Friday, July 12, 2013

Halal Chilli Pan Mee


Chilli Pan Mee

Have you ever thought of Chilli Pan Mee? Some of you may not have heard it before ... it's common among Chinese and from what I gather, it was originated from KL.. there's one famous Pan Mee stall nearby my office... you can never get halal Pan Mee served because they used P_ _K & L _ _D as one of the main ingredients.. With my minimal research done... I have attempted to my dream to it Chilli Pan Mee realised.

So from the images I googled, it can be done... just need to swap the pork to beef. Others are the same.... I'm so eager to make it and I even bought the pasta machine... but yesterday, as a first timer, I short cut few processes .....which is the preparation of dried chilli and the pan mee itself..  I bought the ready made one. but not bad....





There are  3-4 major components/processes to make Pan Mee.

Stage 1. Dried Chili Paste.

This is most important ingredient in Chili Pan Mee. The hot spicy chili gives it the extra oooomph!

1. Dried Chillies - soaked - 2 handful
2. Fresh red chillies - 2
3. Dried Shrimp - 1 palmful
4. Shallots or onion - 5 shallots or 2 mid sized onion
5. Garlic - 3 cloves
6. Oil - 4 TBSP

Blend the ingredients. Then in a wok of oil and low fire, stir-fry slowly (at least 30 mins) until dry and golden brown. You will need some patience on this and watch the fire as you need to get the chili really dry but you can't burn it.

Stage 2. Minced Meat Sauce


1. 500gm of minced beef - marinade with salt, pepper and a dash of soy sauce and some starch
2. Oil - 2 TBSP
3. Dark Soy sauce - 1 TSBP
4. Oyster Sauce - 1 TBSP
5. Salt, pepper, soy sauce, 1/2 cup of water

In heated wok with oil, fry some shallots before putting in the minced meat. Stir fry till cooked, add in dark soy sauce and oyster sauce, and water. Stir till blended, add salt and pepper to taste.

Stage 3 Other Condiments

1. Fried Ikan Bilis (Anchovies)
2. Poached egg
3. Vegetable soup (Used potato leaf @ daun cekur manis)

Ok you can do all this separately, but this is my simple steps to reduce additional work and cleaning.

First I will fry the anchovies. Remove when done but leave a handful in the wok. Scoop up access oil. In the same wok, I will put in water to boil the soup with the anchovies base. Let it boil for 15 mins in low heat. Then I will crack on egg in the soup to make the poached egg. Crack the egg in the big soup ladder and leave it in the soup. Do 2-3 eggs depending how many people wants poached eggs. Remove cooked eggs and leave it in the individual bowls. In the same soup, put in some vegetable for the vegetable soup! Simple right ??!! :) You have all 3 ingredients ready, all from just one wok!

Stage 4 The Noodles (Ready Made)

They add on lard for better taste... but my chinese friend suggest me to use kuih chakoi as a subtitute...I don't have it yesterday


 


Overall review and rating from me, 

Firstly , there are quite a no of tedious process to go through... just like preparing porridge with variety of condiments... but once everything is ready, you'll be satisfied and enjoy the mee ... eat it while it's still hot.

Secondly, I  found the hardest part is to prepare the poached egg... need way lot to improve... i used vinegar as many suggested to do the poached egg.. but its still a failure to me... the above is the best after 3 attempts. very ugly... the trick is to get a prefect poached egg for Chilli Pan Mee, you need to have a melt yolk... as this will provide you with some liquid as the mee can be a bit dry...

Thus, I still prefer the soupy noodles... i.e fish head noodles will still be in my top list...

but will still keep doing this until it become my signature dish... haha

Happy Friday you all..... have a great weekend!!!






2 comments:

  1. Tq dear...i was googling for halal pan mee and came across your blog..will try this..thats for sure...thank you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Nuffnang Ad