Top Ad

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Bizarre Food in Thailand

I must say that I enjoy Thailand Food very much.... I have no problem looking for good food in Thailand... I will share every meal we had during our stay there.

Our first lunch accross the border was at the small town in Satun. We just get Nasi Campur for simple lunch.... one thing for sure the taste of the rice is super duper yummy... The dishes are very much similiar with what we normally had in Malaysia... except that most of the dishes are much simpler and tastier... they used lotsof chillies, lemongrass and long bean in their daily cooking..... 
 
For my first lunch, I chose bamboo shoot masak asam rebus and ikan gulai... the ulam and sambal belacan is compliment.... paid THB40 (RM4) for this...

Next, is our tea session while in Darul Faridh... even though the school is very very in need of financial assistance, but their hospitality to us is far beyond expectations.... First, they served us the welcome drink... I can still remember the taste of the mata kucing drink....it's a real thirst quench...
Then, they served us tea and some snacks... these are all homemade.... I like the kuih ros...very crispy and light...
*
*
*
 
Look what I saw.. a polka dot square plate...
They serve us on a long table outdoor... It's like having a garden party.....

Next, is our dinner... this is the best eating time we had along our journey.... it's an authentic thai restaurant facing the sea. the ambience here is very relaxing.... imagine the food standard is like the famous Ayuthia Restaurant...
The name of the restaurant... can't even read the Thiland language... this is one of our problem here.. communicating with the local... they speak very little Malay and most of them are not English literate... it's like chicken and duck.....
The main entrance to the restaurant... you can choose the best venue/hut scattered around the place... very privacy indeed....

We ordered more than 5 dishes :
Fried fish with onion
Fried fish with light soya sauce (pick of the day)
Squid salad
Prawn with Asam sauce (my favourite)
Seafood Tom Yum (red)
Tom Yum Pottaek (white)
Beef Padprik
Kailan with garlic
Mango salad (compliment)
Before
*
*
*
After
We ate till the last bite.. nothing left except for the garnish.. when the waiter send the food , they smile sinisly thinking whose going to finish all teh food ordered.... Alhamdulillah every thing finished....
For deserts, we ordered cut pineapple... the taste is so sweet
I like the way they cut the pineapple. They leave the skin for holder.. very creative...
Another fancy cut for mango....
and the pandan coconut....

Our next stop is breakfast in Pak Bara... at first I cannot imagine what to have for breakfast... moment I saw roti canai... I sighed with relief.. at least there's something familiar to me....
 
Wierd, but real... the roti canai is small but each serving consists of 2 pieces roti canai... very soft.. crispy at the outer...

They also have this murtabak... but you got to be careful... they put the condense milk on top... you have to tell them if you required no milk on top of murtabak... I just cannot except the combination of the two opposite flavour...one thing special about this murtabak... they served with jelatah (pineapple+cucumber+ onion+chilli+vinegar)... not just with pickle onion...very nice
some try Nasi Minyak for breakfast ... it taste just like chicken rice
*
*
the nasi kerabu look so tempted....
Especially with all the ulam...

Okay now I wan't to share the street food that I find to be very interesting...
Nicely packed local kuih
I don't know what is this.. looks like pickles with dried shrimp...
Baby crab eat as as snack
Peanut...
Charcoal baked egg ate with light soya sauce..I guess...
Air Kelapa Laut ....
Cut fruit sold everywhere
Variety of traditional kueh...
These prawn look so tempted.. but taste so so...
*
*
I don't have enough time to taste so many thing...
The Swensen's ice cream is so cheap.. about RM 3.90 per scoop... taste the macamedia nut flavour
Look at how they make the roti telur... very simple but taste so nice... less is more...
While we're there, got opportunity to visit Hat Yai market... this fascinate me most... though I miss the floating market, at least this compensate my frustration ... they sell everything in mass.... now I understand why the Thailand food are all around the world.... their people are very serious when dealing with food trading.... ensured everything in good quality...

The lemongrass.... one of my friend told me that each house must plant lemongrass... for emergency used during darurat time...
 Various type of chillies....
Young Galangal... mostly used in TomYum
 I don't know they have pink egg...
Ready made herbs to make green curry, tom yum paste etc...
Bought this Chiengmai Peanut for souvenir....

My own experience tasting Thailand food is great... Thailand people are more creative and serious when trading with food... In fact different territory of Thailand has different influenced towards it's food....

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Nuffnang Ad